Fred and Barney Meet the Thing is a 60-minute Saturday morning animated package show and a spin off of the original series, The Flintstones, produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions from September 8 to December 1, 1979.
The New Fred and Barney Show
- Main article: The New Fred and Barney Show
The "Fred and Barney" half of the show consisted of five new 30-minute episodes of The New Fred and Barney Show combined with reruns of first-season episodes.
|1||"Physical Fitness Fred"||September 22, 1979|
|2||"Moonlighters"||September 29, 1979|
|3||"Fred Goes to the Houndasaurs"||October 6, 1979|
|4||"The Bad Luck Genie"||October 13, 1979|
|5||"Dinosaur Country Safari"||October 20, 1979|
- Henry Corden – Fred Flintstone
- Jean Vander Pyl – Wilma Flintstone, Pebbles Flintstone
- Mel Blanc – Barney Rubble, Dino
- Gay Autterson – Betty Rubble
- Don Messick – Bamm-Bamm Rubble
- John Stephenson – Mr. Slate
- For the 1979–80 season, the series was expanded to a 90-minute time-slot with the addition of The New Shmoo episodes and broadcast under the new title Fred and Barney Meet the Shmoo.
- Like many animated series created by Hanna-Barbera in the 1970s, the show contained a laugh track, one of their last productions to do so.
- Despite the show's title, the two segments remained separate and did not cross over with one another. The characters of Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble and the Thing were only featured together during the opening title sequence and in brief bumpers between segments.
- The unusual combination of a Marvel superhero and The Flintstones was possible because, at this time, Marvel Comics owned the rights to several Hanna-Barbera franchises and were, in fact, publishing comic books based upon them; The Flintstones was one of these.