On Fred's instructions, because Fred and Wilma will soon have a child and need of additional income, Barney poses as rock quarry tycoon Rockafeather to rival Mr. Slate for the services of dinosaur-lift operator Fred, proposing a higher salary to Fred, with the mistaken expectation that Slate will top "Rockafeather" with a superior Flintstone salary. Slate elects to release Fred from his position at Slate Construction so that "Rockafeather" may hire him- and as a result of this failed pay-raise ploy, Fred is jobless!
He dares not to tell Wilma in her delicate, expectant condition about his predicament as he covertly reads the "help wanted" classified advertisements of the Bedrock Gazette. Fred begins a series of short-lived labors with his hiring as a flustered short-order cook at the overly popular Brown Turban Drive-in adjacent to a factory. Next, he is an on-probation "service station man", failing to collect payment from a customer despite an otherwise faultless execution of his gas station duties. Finally, Fred joins a circus and is offered by the Southern Colonel who owns the circus a celebrity opportunity as Bird-man of Razzmatazz, swooping from the sky to cheering crowds, his flight propelled by a catapult and maintained by the feathered wings of his bird suit.
While airborne, Fred is met by the Slate Company helicopter and informed by pilot Slate- who believes that Fred's Bird-man portrayal is a "Rockafeather" publicity gimmick- that nobody at the Slate rock quarry is capable of replacing Fred as dinosaur-lift operator. Slate offers a pay raise to Fred as more than sufficient persuasion for Fred to resign from his "Rockafeather engagement" and to again work for Slate Construction, and Fred literally flies home to relay the good news to Wilma.
- Fred Flintstone
- Wilma Flintstone
- Barney Rubble
- Betty Rubble
- Mr. Slate
- Eddie (only appearance)
- Ms. LaRock (only appearance)
- Goony Bird (only appearance)
- Colonel Rockafeather (only appearance)
- Flintstone home
- Bedrock Fire Department
- Bedrock Factory (only appearance)
- Slate Rock and Gravel Company
- Brown Turban (only appearance)
- Bedrock Service Station
- Baby clothes (only appearance)
- Life-sized plush toys (only appearance)
- Rockville News and Bedrock Bugle news-slabs
- Brontosaurus (as a Bronto-Crane, Bronto-Ham, Bronto-Burger, Bronto-Dog and a plush toy)
- Mammoth (as a shower, sprinkler hose, fire truck, plush toy, Basted Roast Leg of Mastodon and gas pumps)
- Stegosaurus (as a fire truck and a plush toy)
- Dodo Bird (as Dodo eggs)
- Pterodactyl (as Pterodactyl Giblets)
- Ocelot (as panties)
- Bearasaurus (as a bearskin pullover)
- Sheepasaurus (as sheepskin booties)
- Saber-Toothed Tigersaurus (as a blanket)
- Saber-Toothed Cat (as a plush toy)
- Turtlesaurus (as a lawn mower)
|Alan Reed||Fred Flintstone|
|Jean Vander Pyl|| Wilma Flintstone|
|Mel Blanc|| Barney Rubble|
|Bea Benaderet|| Betty Rubble|
|John Stephenson|| Mr. Slate|
|Howard Morris|| Eddie|
- This is the third of the four episodes in the Birth of Pebbles story arc. The other two episodes featured in the arc were, "Mother-in-Law's Visit" and "Foxy Grandma".
- The three types of gasoline are Ethel, Alice, and Bessie.
- The Brown Turban is a take-off of the restaurant known as the Brown Derby.
- Fred mentions Capistranorock (San Juan Capistrano) and the Birdman of Razzmatazz (the Birdman of Alcatraz).
- In the morning, when Fred is going to work, his car's steering wheel is on the right side. In the afternoon, on his way home, same car's steering wheel is on the left side.
- When Mr. Slate approaches Eddie to see if he's OK after he bungles the operation of Fred's work dinosaur, black leopard spots can briefly be seen on his outfit.
|Season 3 of The Flintstones|
|"Dino Goes Hollyrock" • "Fred's New Boss" • "Barney the Invisible" • "Bowling Ballet" • "The Twitch" • "Here's Snow in Your Eyes" • "The Buffalo Convention" • "The Little Stranger" • "Baby Barney" • "Hawaiian Escapade" • "Ladies' Day" • "Nuthin' But the Tooth" • "High School Fred" • "Dial 'S' for Suspicion" • "Flash Gun Freddie" • "The Kissing Burglar" • "Wilma the Maid" • "The Hero" • "The Surprise" • "Mother-in-Law's Visit" • "Foxy Grandma" • "Fred's New Job" • "The Dress Rehearsal" • "Carry On, Nurse Fred" • "Ventriloquist Barney" • "The Big Move" • "Swedish Visitors" • "The Birthday Party"|