Fred has a rival for his daughter's affections when one of Wilma's hunky and virile childhood sweethearts visits Bedrock (why she married fat Freddy instead of any of them defies reason). This man who dines at cave Flintstone as Wilma's guest is charismatic, raucous rodeo celebrity Bony Hurdle, who will be performing at the Bedrock Rodeo Roundup at Bedrock Stadium. Wilma first met Bony while staying as a little girl at her uncle's ranch. Hurdle is a charmer with young children, as he repeatedly throws Pebbles upward and catches her when she falls, lets her ride him horseback-style, guitars and sings campfire songs, and croons bedtime lullabies.
Pebbles is so enamored with Bony that she hugs him and calls him da-da, which of course provokes bitter jealousy in Fred, who is already annoyed by the cowboyish "mush" that Bony is exuding in his machismo and loud mannerisms. Worse still, Pebbles cries when Fred holds her and tries to lull her to sleep- and Wilma sees nothing wrong with Pebbles' adulation of Bony.
In a desperate measure to transfer Pebbles' hero- worship from Bony to him, Fred enters the rodeo (to which the Flintstone and Rubble clans have been invited by Bony) as a masked, bareback "mystery rider" atop a stegosaurus. Fred's excited "Yabba-Dabba-Doo" alerts his family and friends to his presence in the rodeo ring, and the usual unintended acrobatics ensue as Fred is twice "thrown" by the stegosaurus, lands on its head and on its tail, and then hits a wooden beam, spins wildly, and finds himself staring into the furious eyes of an unbridled, wild triceratops, which Fred struggles to restrain from impaling him with its horn.
The beast thrusts Fred skyward to tumble head-first into a barrel, which is then shot like a missile by Fred's fearsome dinosaur foe out of the rodeo ring. Bony congratulates the dazed Fred for his outstanding deed of prehistoric "bronco busting", and Pebbles now rightly idolizes her father Flintstone.
- Fred Flintstone
- Wilma Flintstone
- Barney Rubble
- Betty Rubble
- Pebbles Flintstone
- Bamm-Bamm Rubble
- Bony Hurdle (only appearance)
- Rockjaw Brady (only appearance)
- Stop sundial
- Rock-Clad contract (only appearance)
- Pterodactyl (as food)
- Bullasaurus (horns only)
- Trachodon (mentioned)
- Bony Hurdle's car
- Paddle wheel boat
|Alan Reed||Fred Flintstone|
|Jean Vander Pyl||Wilma Flintstone|
|Gerry Johnson||Betty Rubble|
|Don Messick||Bamm-Bamm Rubble|
|Mel Blanc||Barney Rubble|
|Allan Melvin||Bony Hurdle|
- This is the first episode to introduce showoff extraordinaire Bony Hurdle, who would go on to appear a few times in cameos and as a wedding guest in I Yabba-Dabba Do!.
- The rodeo manager is called Rockjaw Brady.
- Pebbles has a poster of Bony Hurdle on her bedroom wall.
- At the end of the episode, Wilma puts Pebbles on Fred's back. He gives her a horseback ride into the house, the door closes and the episode ends. However, Wilma never goes into the house! One would half expect her to pound on the door and yell "FRE-E-E-D!"
- The Rubbles do not have Bamm-Bamm with them when they come over for dinner to meet Bony Hurdle.